Sunday, 21 February 2016

Crossfit Challenge: Review of Week One

So one week down and how has it been?

Good points
  • No black marks  - which I was pretty impressed with considering I went away to the Lakes at the weekend with friends and my boyfriend.  I resisted wine, homemade brownies, dessert and various other treats that came my way.  
  • I have eaten all whole, real, homecooked foods - even when eating out.
  • I did my physio consistently even though my foot is becoming worse (!).
  • I feel like it's becoming a little easier to resist sugar.
  • I have had nearly 8 hours sleep every night.

Bad points

  • Exercise has been suboptimal.  I am genuinely not trying to make excuses when I say I have good reasons for this.  I returned to work after my laser eye surgery only to find the artificial bright lighting and high screen use (I'm a therapy radiographer working in what is effectively a nuclear bunker) made me very dizzy, headachey and sick. Four 11 hour days in a row of this was incredibly difficult and made me opt out of WODs.  At the same time the metarsalgia in my right foot has been worsening despite my avoidance of running and regular physio.  In addition I can't swim for another 2 weeks because of the eye surgery and my Pilates class was cancelled.  Excuses over.
  • Though I haven't broken any rules, I have perhaps overeaten the real food snacks.  Which I especially don't need when I'm doing so little exercise.  Too much homemade bread, cheese and peanut butter was probably eaten at the weekend whilst avoiding alcohol and baked goods.
  • Too much caffeine.  I love my morning Yorkshire Tea and that is non-negotiable but I do usually avoid caffeine the rest of the day sticking to water and herbal tea.  Last week I noticed I was going for far more cups of caffeinated tea and even coffee during the day at work - especially during the afternoon slump when I would have opted for a sugary snack.
Improvements
  • Less snacking during the day unless I really feel quite hungry.
  • Avoid bread (even when homemade) and cheese as of less nutritional value.
  • Swap Yorkshire tea for fruit or mint during the day at work.
  • Make at least three Crossfit classes this week.  Aim to do at least one long walk at the weekend and look into buying a bike/spinning classes.

I do feel a bit more bloated and chubby if anything but I'm hoping it's just lack of exercise and the flare up of my IBS.  I will follow the advice of just eating well for the first two weeks and if I'm still struggling, start calorie counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment